“Knowing Your Roots:
Indigenous Medicines, Health Knowledges and Best Practices.”
24-28 May 2010
The INIHKD is an international assembly of indigenous health researchers, scholars, policymakers, and health practitioners dedicated to improving the health of indigenous peoples in Australia, New Zealand, Canada and the United States through community led health research, culturally-based health services delivery, indigenous health workforce development, and indigenous health policy advancement.
History of INIHKD Conferences
- October 2003, Townsville, Queensland, Australia.
- November 2005, Vancouver, B.C., Canada.
- October 2007, Rotorua, New Zealand.
- May 2010, Poulsbo, Washington State, U.S.A.
Objectives of the 4th Biennial INIHKD Conference
Globally, indigenous populations have remarkably similar health trends, status, and diseases, as well as environmental conditions that contribute to health disparities. There are striking differences as well, particularly in respect to health policy responses. Much can be learned from sharing approaches, experiences, and results.
The INIHKD provides this opportunity through a biennial conference with activities designed to:
- Build indigenous research capacity and health workforce;
- Develop innovative research partnerships;
- Facilitate sharing of innovative, traditional, and contemporary indigenous health research knowledges, especially with respect to evidenced-based “best and promising practices” and culturally-grounded interventions;
- Identify successful indigenous health policy solutions; and
- Share ethical indigenous-based research protocols and methodologies.
The purpose of bringing together indigenous health researchers, practitioners, and policy representatives from these countries is to grow INIHKD’s efforts to address the challenges involved in reducing indigenous health disparities and to share critical analyses and practice-based theories of historical and social determinants of health disparities among indigenous peoples across the globe.
International Network of Indigenous Health Knowledge and Development (INIHKD)
Conference Poulsbo, Washington State, U.S.A.